My Shopping List
Cheesy Baked Ziti
Courtesy of National Pasta Association
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 35 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 lb. ziti, rigatoni, mostaccioli or other medium pasta shape, uncooked
+ vegetable oil cooking spray
+ 1 onion, chopped (about 1 c.)
+ 2 garlic cloves, minced
+ 1 (14.5 oz.) can low-sodium diced tomatoes, drained
+ 1 (15 oz.) container low-fat ricotta cheese
+ 2 c. low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
+ 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
+ 1/2 c. skim milk
+ 1/3 c. chopped Italian parsley
+ 1/3 c. chopped fresh basil (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
+ 1/2 tsp. black pepper
+ 1/4 tsp. salt
What to do:
1. Prepare pasta according to pkg. directions. Drain and set aside in large bowl.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Spray a non-stick skillet with vegetable oil cooking spray. Heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 5 min. Add garlic and sauté 1 more min. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes.
3. Place ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 c. of the mozzarella cheese, 2 Tbsp. of Parmesan cheese and milk in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
4. Add the tomato and cheese mixtures, parsley, basil and pepper to the cooked pasta. Toss well to combine.
5. Spray a 2 1/2 to 3 quart (an 8 or 9 x 12 in. oblong dish works well) baking dish with vegetable spray. Spoon the pasta mixture into the dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 c. mozzarella and 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheeses.
6. Bake at 400° F for 20 min., or until lightly browned.